Judging: February 8-9, 2014, hosted at the National Geographic
• All entries must have been created by Active or Life Members in good standing.
• Members shall not enter material that was produced prior to the date that their membership application was received by the WHNPA board.
• At least 80% of each individual entry must be the work of the entrant.
• ￼ Teams of two or more members may enter stories together. Each member must have contributed at least 30% to the entry. This will, by definition, limit team entries to a maximum of three entrants, no matter how many people contributed to the entry. Team entries must be entered only once for the entire team, but each entrant must pay a separate entry fee and list the entry name on their own individual entry form and indicate that it is a team entry.
• The entry deadline is Sunday, January 19th at 11:59 PM EST
• Entry fee of $65 must be paid for entry of 5 works, a $15 fee must be paid for each additional entry.
• The Video Contest Committee reserves the right to disqualify any entry.
All Entries Are Submitted Electronically
• There is a two (2) entry limit per category per entrant.
• If you are entering both photography and editing entries please submit all photography entries on the Photography Summary Sheet and all editing entries on the Editing Summary Sheet. NOTE: Entry Form & Summary Sheets must be filled out electronically and e-mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline of January 19th at 11:59 p.m.
• The story title on entry form MUST match exactly with the entry’s filename on the summary sheet.
• Three images in JPEG format must be sent with each entry. Entrants can e-mail or send these files via YouSendIt with entries.
• An entry for photography may be entered in only one photography category, and an entry for editing may only be entered in one editing category. However the same story may be entered in both a photography category and an editing category. The only exceptions to this rule are the lighting and audio categories. You may submit an entry (or part of an entry) in the lighting and audio category, which you have also submitted in one other category.
• Each entry, even if it’s submitted in more than one category, must be submitted separately and named appropriately for that category (ex: If you’re entering the same entry in P-1 and E-1, the entry must be submitted twice and labeled appropriately for each category).
• Entrants must not be identified in a piece in any way (by chyron, in narration, or on- screen credit).
• Please provide a written description in the summary sheet of any elements not shot or created by entrant. At least 80% of the entry must be the work of the entrant.
• There is a flat entry fee of $65.00 for the first five OR fewer entries. Each additional entry is $15 per entry.
• Payment will be via PayPal on the WHNPA website or mailed checks made payable to WHNPA.
• Winners will be posted on the WHNPA website when the contest is completed.
• VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR THE CONTEST JUDGING WEEKEND. Please contact Pege
Gilgannon at 202-345-1937.
P-1 SPOT NEWS – Breaking news events, must be shot, edited, and aired within 10 hours.
May include live element.
P-2 GENERAL NEWS – A news story, four minutes or less: must be shot, edited, and aired or fed the same day.
P-3 DAY FEATURE – Feature story must be shot, edited, and aired same day.
P-4 NEWS FEATURE – Story shot, edited, and aired within 48 hours.
P-5 FEATURE – Feature story shot and edited over an extended length of time (10 minute maximum.)
P-6 NEWS SPECIAL REPORTS/SERIES – Special report or multiple part series. Your entry must be limited to 15 minutes. For a special report you may show one 15-minute segment of your entry or two or three segments (separated by a dip to black) for a total of 15 minutes. For a series show at least two segments not to exceed 15 minutes. No other editing is allowed.
P-7 MAGAZINE FEATURE – Story of extended length shot for a magazine program.
P-8 DOCUMENTARY – Extended long format, non-magazine piece of at least 20 minutes when originally aired. Your entry must be limited to 15 minutes. You may show one 15-minute segment of your documentary or two or three segments (separated by a dip to black) for a ￼￼￼￼￼total of 15 minutes. No other editing is allowed. If multiple photographers worked on your project please be very clear which work you did, or as it may be easier to identify, which work you did not shoot in your entry.
P-9 SPORTS – Coverage, analysis, or preparation of or for a sports event or activity.
P-10 POLITICAL/CAMPAIGN – Story about political newsmakers.
P-11 WHITE HOUSE/PRESIDENTIAL – Footage, story or composite of White House/Presidential topic(s). Total entry not to exceed 5 minutes.
P-12 LIGHTING – Field Lighting for a single story or composite of excerpts from one or more stories. Total entry not to exceed 2 minutes.
P-13 NETWORK – Network (non-magazine program). Aired or unaired segment or package, not to exceed 5 minutes.
P-14 AUDIO – Field audio for a single story. No composites. Total entry not to exceed 5 minutes.
P-15 CONFLICT/DISASTER COVERAGE – This category recognizes work created in dangerous situations where the photographer has put his or her personal safety at risk.
P-16 RAW FOOTAGE – A composite of raw footage of a single event or multiple events. This
￼footage cannot be included in any other categories you enter. Total entry not to exceed 2
E-1 SPOT NEWS – Breaking news events, must be shot, edited, and aired within 10 hours.
E-2 GENERAL NEWS – A news story shot, edited, and aired or fed the same day. (4 minutes maximum).
E-3 DAY FEATURE – Segment or package edited and aired the same day.
E-4 NEWS FEATURE – Segment or package edited and aired within 48 hours.
E-5 EDITING SHORT FORM – Segment or package edited over an extended period (five minute maximum).
E-6 EDITING LONG FORM – Segment, package or series edited over an extended period. Must be at least five minutes long when originally aired. Your entry must be limited to 15 minutes. For a package/story you may show one 15-minute segment of your entry or two or
three segments (separated by a dip to black) for a total of 15 minutes. For a series show at least two segments not to exceed 15 minutes. No other editing is allowed.
E-7 MAGAZINE FEATURE – Story of extended length edited for a magazine program.
E-8 DOCUMENTARY – Extended long form, non-magazine piece of at least 20 minutes when originally aired. Your entry must be limited to 15 minutes. You may show one 15-minute segment of your documentary or two or three segments (separated by a dip to black) for a total of 15 minutes. No other editing is allowed.
E-9 SPORTS – Coverage, analysis, preparation, of or for a sports event or activity.
E-10 POLITICAL/CAMPAIGN – Story about political newsmakers.
E-11 WHITE HOUSE/PRESIDENTIAL – Story or composite of White House/Presidential topic(s). Total entry not to exceed 5 minutes.
E-12 AUDIO – Creative use of audio in a segment or package. Limited to 5 minutes, regardless of program length. You may show one 5-minute segment of your production or two or three segments (separated by dip to black) for a total entry not to exceed 5 minutes. No other editing is allowed.
E-13 PROMOTIONAL – Material edited for use in promotion.
Note: An individual can win only one place in each category. The Committee will review entries for correct placement in the categories and any entry may be re-classified at the discretion of the Contest Committee and/or the Contest Judges. If there are fewer than five entries in a given category, the committee and/or judges may, at their discretion, retain or drop the category and place the entries in other appropriate categories.
Pege Gilgannon: email@example.com , 202-345-1937
Marty Doane: firstname.lastname@example.org , 202-345-1942
Joni Mazer Field: email@example.com , 240-281-4188
Charlie MacDonald: firstname.lastname@example.org , 301-520-5934
Ed Eaves: email@example.com , 703-203-5060
Whitney Shefte: firstname.lastname@example.org , 704-467-4789
Bethany Swain: BethanyASwain@gmail.com, 202-360-9093
1. Complete Entry Form
2. Prepare files
3. Upload entry
To upload your QuickTime files you must copy and paste the following link into your browser and follow the instructions on the screen. https://www.hightail.com/u/WHNPA2014 We are using the “Hightail” service. You may send multiple files at once, however, the total size cannot exceed 2 Gigabytes. Please include your entry form file as well as three Jpegs that best illustrate each one of your stories with every upload. If you are sending more than 2 Gigabytes, you will have to split up your files and upload a second time. You must include your entry form file with every upload. The upload process does take some time so please be patient. You will receive a conformation from “Hightail” when the upload is complete. Later, you will receive an email conformation from Charles MacDonald. If you do not receive a conformation after a couple of days please email; email@example.com
4. Name files
The name of your entry file MUST follow this Naming Convention exactly:
Category type & number_name of entry_entrant initials. For example, if Charlie MacDonald entered a piece named “Security” in the E-02 category the name of the Sequence and exported file would be: E02_Security_CM
The Naming Convention for the three Jpegs should be the same as the files except with a _1, _2 or _3 at the end of the name. (E02_Security_CM_1)
The total file name MUST be limited to 27 characters. Your story title can be longer in the Summary Sheets. Shorter titles work better.
5. Pay Entry Fee(s)
$65 + $3 online processing fee
This fee covers a total of five (5) entries into the Eyes of History Video Contest.
$15 per additional entry + $0.50 online processing fee per additional entry into the contest.
To pay without online processing fees you may mail (US Postal Service only, no UPS, FedEx etc.) your entry fees and forms to:
WTTG TV Fox 5
C/O WHNPA – Doug Wilkes
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, Dc 20016
If mailed, entry must arrive by the deadline. Please also submit forms electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.