Entry Fee: $50 (plus $2 processing fee)
- At least one member of a project must meet eligibility requirements for WHNPA membership to enter the Multimedia Contest. This member must be the primary producer of the story or multimedia package entered. Freelance work is welcome.
- All entries must have been published on or after January 1, 2017 through December 31, 2017.
- Entries will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. EST on January 12, 2018.
- Note: Video stories will be accepted but only those that were originally intended for web- based viewing. We will NOT accept video stories originally intended for television viewing and that are subsequently published on that station’s affiliated website. In addition, a video story cannot be entered in both the Video contest and the Multimedia contest. You must pick one.
- Note: If you are not a WHNPA member and you would like to enter the Multimedia Contest, you can still enter the contest by applying for Active membership to the WHNPA. Your application must be completed and postmarked by the deadline of the Multimedia Contest (end of current year) and you must meet the current bylaw requirements for Active membership.
- An entry fee of $50.00 includes entry into one category. Each additional category entered costs an additional $15.
- The fees must be sent to WHNPA (PO Box 7119 Ben Franklin Station, Washington DC, 20044-7199) by check or PayPal.
- Only one entry fee per entrant is required.
- Please list the categories you have entered in your submission e-mail and the total amount paid.
Enter up to six (6) stories per category.
Video entries are limited to ten (10) minutes with the exception of the Documentary category which can be up to thirty-five (35) minutes.
- News Story
A single multimedia story or video covering spot, daily or general news.
- Issue Reporting
A single multimedia story or video that explores social, cultural or political issues.
- Feature Story
A single multimedia story or video about the human experience or entertainment.
A single multimedia story or video on anything involving sports; professionals, amateurs, places or events.
A single multimedia story that uses animation to tell a story or explain a concept or issue.
This category welcomes multimedia elements that don’t necessarily tell a full story. Internet memes, giffs, 360 VR videos, interactive graphics, panoramas and more.
An in-depth video story about news events, social issues, human experience and/or cultural trends.
A single multimedia or video story
that focuses on explaining a serious or light topic in simple, engaging and compelling way.
- Best Multimedia Package
An in-depth multimedia package that uses a combination audio, video, still photography, graphics, and/or animation in telling a story. Specific elements will be judged as well as how well the elements work together in telling the story.
- Multimedia Journalist of the Year
This is a portfolio based category that recognizes excellence in producing multimedia stories online. Enter a minimum of (3) and a maximum of (5) multimedia pieces. Judges will pick the candidate with the best portfolio. Entries can range from video stories and multimedia packages to websites.
The Multimedia Committee and this year’s WHNPA Multimedia judges reserve the right to move entries into more appropriate categories or disqualify entries they feel don’t abide by the rules or meet the standards set forth in the bylaws of the WHNPA. They may also choose not to award a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place if there are not enough qualified entries per category. Ultimately, we want to create a fair contest that recognizes the best work in our field.
All questions about the Multimedia contest can be directed to [email protected]
A public judging will be held at the National Geographic building on Feb. 11 and 12, 2017.
WHNPA Multimedia Committee
Jessica Koscielniak (Chair) – McClatchy
1. Complete entry form for content
2. Pay Entry Fee(s)Before paying entry fee below please make sure you have completed the application above and clicked the green submit button
$50 + $3 online processing fee
This fee covers one (1) entries into a category for the Eyes of History Multimedia Contest.
$15 per additional category entered + $0.50 online processing fee per additional entry