The 2023 WHNPA Project Grant will soon be accepting applications for a $5,000 award, allowing the winner to complete an in-depth venture of their own choosing. Grant applications will be accepted until April 1, 2023.
About the Grant
The $5,000 WHNPA Project Grant was established in 2005 to support in-depth photo, video and multimedia projects produced by our members.
The goal is to allow a member to pursue an undertaking of their own that may otherwise be impossible without financial assistance.
The $5,000 WHNPA Project Grant was established in 2005 to support in-depth photo, video and multimedia projects produced by our members. It is open to all WHNPA members in good standing, regardless of membership category or medium— this includes associate, student and retired members who shoot video, multimedia and still.
Past Grant Recipients
To assist in drafting your application, the successful proposals from prior award recipients are linked below, where available.
2006 – Chris Usher, One of Us: Remembering Hurricane Katrina
2007 – Susana Raab, Consumed
2008 – Mary Calvert, Rape as a weapon of war in the Democratic Republic of Congo
This project was named as a finalist for the 2010 Pulitzer Prize in Feature Photography.
2011 – Allison Shelley, Adolescent childbearing in India Bihar state
2012 – Jonathan Ernst, ‘Income Inequality: Worlds Apart’- comparing Nairobi Kenya and Wash DC – showing their similar rate of income inequality
2019 – Cheryl Diaz Meyer, Project on the last living World War II Comfort Women of the Philippines and the effects of sexual trauma
Grant Workshop and Q&A Session
Do you have questions about how to craft your WHNPA grant proposal, what to include or even which project idea to pitch? Join us for an online proposal workshop hour where we will answer questions about the grant process, help applicants vet ideas and offer general application coaching: Tuesday, March 21, 7-8pm EDT on Microsoft Teams. Please RSVP to the grant committee chair at [email protected].
Please see the event page for more infrormation.
Application Package Requirements
- A digital portfolio or website
- Contact gran[email protected] if you are unable to link this on your application.
- Up to three relevant work samples
- Biography of applicant and all team members
- A Professional resume consisting of:
- Professional background & work history
- Professional awards & honors
- Three (3) professional references
- A Project Proposal:
- Project Summary
- Project Description (must include summary of research on project and how project will be executed)
- Impact Statement
- Proposed budget
Grant Recipient Conditions
The following will also be required of the grant recipient:
- Provide receipts for all project-related expenses
- Credit WHNPA for project funding assistance
- Provide a selection of images and/or video to be used for promotion of WHNPA and the project grant program. All content will remain the property of the grant recipient.
Completed applications are due on or before April 1, 2023. Late and/or incomplete applications will not receive consideration!